Steve Nelson-Raney / Hal Rammel - Breathing flac album
- Mastered By – Lou Mallozzi
- Recorded By – Ben Manley (tracks: 1, 2, 4, 11), Brian Horihan, Jeff Klatt (tracks: 6), Karl Gartung (tracks: 3, 5, 7 to 10, 12)
- Saw, Bass Drum, Featuring [Triolin, Amplified Sound Palette] – Hal Rammel
- Saxophone, Clarinet, Shakuhachi, Ocarina – Steve Nelson-Raney
NotesTracks 1, 2, 4 and 11 recorded at Lotus Music & Dance (New York, January 25, 1997).
Tracks 3, 5, 7 8, 9, 10 and 12 recorded at Cody Recording (September and October 1996).
Track 6 recorded at the UWM Fine Arts Recital Hall (February 18, 1999).
Mastered at the Experimental Sound Studio,, Chicago.
Limited edition of 500 hand numbered copies.
Steve Nelson-Raney is the breath of the duo, handling tenor, soprano, and sopranino saxophones, along with clarinet, ocarina, and the beautiful (and very breath-demanding) shakuhachi. Hal Rammel brings in his homemade instruments, relying at times on percussion (like on "Ruffling") but mostly playing string-like instruments and bowed metal - things that will sing a very humanlike song if handled the right way. His musical saw, triolin, and amplified sound palette hum and grunt in a breathtaking (no pun) dialogue with Nelson-Raney.
Saw, Bass Drum, Featuring – Hal Rammel. Saxophone, Clarinet, Shakuhachi, Ocarina – Steve Nelson-Raney. Tracks 1, 2, 4 and 11 recorded at Lotus Music & Dance (New York, January 25, 1997).
Profile: Visual artist, musician and instrument inventor. In Groups: I-Beam, Raccoons, The Lost Data Project. Steve Nelson-Raney, Hal Rammel - Breathing (CD). Rammel, McCoy, Wietlispach. Hal Rammel, Thomas Gaudynski, Steve Nelson-Raney - Audiotropism (CDr, Album).
by Steve Nelson-Raney, Hal Rammel.
Author: Steve Nelson-Raney.
The Triolin is an acoustic bowed metal instrument designed and built by Hal Rammel in 1991. He has described it as a nail violin gone awry. Thin metal rods sit perpendicular in a circular arrangement on the top surface of a triangular wooden resonator and the instrument is held in the other hand by an ornately carved chair leg attached to the bottom of the resonator. Thus, the rods can be bowed as the entire instrument twists and spins underneath.
Recordings of Rammel's music created with the triolin has been published by Penumbra Records, a Wisconsin-based label dedicated solely to experimental music. The instrument is featured in CDs with John Corbett, Van's Peppy Syncopators (his trio with John Corbett and Terri Kapsalis), and Steve Nelson-Raney. There are a total of thirteen compact discs from this label, some of which feature Hal Rammel. His CDs on other labels can be found through the site as well.
His performing and recording colleagues have included Peter Zummo, Bruce Gremo, Karlheinz Essl, Bruce Arnold, Rich O'Donnell, Jonathan Haas, Jacqueline Martelle, Al Margolis, Steve Nelson-Raney, Hal Rammel, Christopher Burns, Thomas Gaudynski, Rick Aaron, Thomas Buckner, David Soldier, Bruce Eisenbeil, Richard Lerma'. There are no notes associated with this item. There are no tracklisting associated with this item. Plus or Minus Two (12").
- Willie Nelson - Shotgun Willie download flac
- Black Steve - Split Decisions download flac
- Patrik Fitzgerald - Floating Population download flac
- Neil Perry / Kaospilot - Neil Perry / Kaospilot download flac
- Lincoln Dance Orchestra / University Sextette - I Want To Be Happy / Tea For Two download flac
- Jimmy Raney Featuring Bob Brookmeyer - Jimmy Raney Featuring Bob Brookmeyer download flac
- Hal Rammel • John Corbett - The Devil's In The Details download flac
- Converge - Petitioning Forever download flac
- T.M. Stevens - Out Of Control - Ground Zero download flac
- Gripper / Destructors, The - Les Fleurs Du Mal download flac