The Calder Quartet, Thomas Adès - The Twenty-Fifth Hour: Chamber Music of Thomas Adès flac album
|The Four Quarters|
|5||Serenade - Morning Dew||3:12|
|7||The Twenty-Fifth Hour||3:51|
|9||Das Klinget So Herrlich Das Klinget So Schön||1:22|
|10||Auf Dem Wasser Zu Singen||2:35|
|11||Et... (tango Mortale)||3:53|
- Cello [The Calder Quartet] – Eric Byers
- Ensemble – The Calder Quartet
- Liner Notes – Paul Griffiths
- Piano, Composed By – Thomas Adès (tracks: 1-3)
- Producer, Editor – Tim Oldham
- Recorded By – Andrew Mellor
- Recorded By [Assistant] – Robin Hawkins
- Viola [The Calder Quartet] – Jonathan Moerschel
- Violin [The Calder Quartet] – Andrew Bulbrook, Benjamin Jacobson
NotesRecorded in All Saints Church, East Finchley, London from 28th - 30th April 2014
The Four Quarters : World Premiere Recording
Total timing: 56:17
includes a 12-page booklet with texts in English
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 3521204312
- Label Code: LC15723
The Twenty-Fifth Hour . 1 . rcadiana: I. Venezia notturno . 9 . rcadiana: II. Das klinget so herrlich, das klinget so schön . 2 1. rcadiana: III. Auf dem Wasser zu singen . 5 1. Three classic works by Thomas Adès, performed by the composer with the Calder Quartet Piano Quintet, The Four Quartets and Arcadiana. These three works are not only in classic genres but themselves becoming classics, with Arcadiana as close as any modern quartet to joining the repertory. Adès wrote 'Arcadiana' in 1994 and gave it a favourite form, of several sound pictures, distinct and characterful, being drawn out of the same musical stuff, as if each were a different view through a kaleidoscope
The Twenty-Fifth Hour Thomas Adès; Calder Quartet; Thomas Adès. 8. I. Venezia notturno Thomas Adès; Calder Quartet; Thomas Adès. II. Das klinget so herrlich, das klinget so schön Thomas Adès; Calder Quartet; Thomas Adès. 10. III. Auf dem Wasser zu singen Thomas Adès; Calder Quartet; Thomas Adès. 2:35 (tango mortale) Thomas Adès; Calder Quartet; Thomas Adès. 12. V. L'Embarquement Thomas Adès; Calder Quartet; Thomas Adès. The programme also includes the single-movement, three-part Piano Quintet with the composer himself at the piano.
7. The Twenty-Fifth Hour. Piano, Composed By – Thomas Adès (tracks: 1-3). Recorded By – Andrew Mellor. Recorded By – Robin Hawkins (3). Viola – Jonathan Moerschel. Violin – Andrew Bulbrook, Benjamin Jacobson. Recorded in All Saints Church, East Finchley, London from 28th - 30th April 2014 The Four Quarters (2011): World Premiere Recording.
Angular Austere Capricious Graceful Intimate Knotty Mysterious. Thomas Adès, Calder Quartet. The Twenty-Fifth Hour: The Chamber Music of Thomas Adès.
This album from the Los Angeles-based Calder Quartet presents Thomas Adès’s award-winning first work for string quartet, Arcadiana, and the premiere recording of The Four Quarters. For the Piano Quintet Adès himself joins them at the piano. Part of the fascination of Thomas Adès’s chamber music is that it intrigues the mind with its science, while transporting the listener to imaginary place. he Calder Quartet perform all three with energy and sensitivity. Highly recommended' (Financial Times). The Calders included it on their debut album, between the Ravel and Mozart’s last quartet, and have played it often since.
Three classic works by Thomas Adès, performed by the composer with the Calder Quartet – Piano Quintet, The Four Quartets and Arcadiana. Adès wrote 'Arcadiana' in 1994 and gave it a favourite form, of several sound pictures, distinct and characterful, being drawn out of the same musical stuff, as if each were a different view through a kaleidoscope . The Calder Quartet perform all three with energy and sensitivity.
It doesn’t matter how firmly I get the notion of Thomas Adès’ creative genius fixed in my mind - the beauty, ingenuity and expressive richness of his music always catches me by surprise. The latest example is this magnificent compilation of his chamber music by the Calder Quartet, with the composer joining in at the piano for a performance of his Piano Quintet.
The Twenty-Fifth Hour - The Chamber Music of Thomas Adès 2015 - Signum Records. Upcoming Performances. October 3 2019 Milton Court, Guildhall School of Music and Drama, London, United Kingdom Australian Chamber Orchestra, Richard Tognetti. March 12 2011 Carnegie Hall, New York, USA Emerson String Quartet. March 25 2017 Wigmore Hall, London, United Kingdom Birmingham Contemporary Music Group, Calder Quartet, Nicolas Hodges, Timothy Redmond. March 26 2017 Wrabness Church,, United Kingdom Castalian String Quartet. April 12 2017 Herbst Theatre, San Francisco War Memorial and Performing Arts Centre, San Francisco, USA Calder Quartet.
- Guillaume Lekeu, E. Ysaÿe Ensemble - Chamber Music download flac
- Schostakowitsch - Brodsky Quartet - String Quartets Nos. 11, 12 & 13 download flac
- James Dillon - The Soadie Waste download flac
- Old Fashioned Revival Hour Quartet , With Rudolph Atwood - My Sins Are Gone / Abide With Me download flac
- Dvořák, Edith Farnadi, Barylli Quartet - String Quartet No. 14 in A Flat Major, Op. 105 / Piano Quartet In A Major, Op. 81 download flac
- Camille Saint-Saëns / Vincent d'Indy - Cantilena Chamber Players - Piano Quartet In B-Flat Major Op. 41 / Piano Quartet In A Minor Op. 7 download flac
- Franz Schubert - Chamber Music download flac
- Martinů, Janáček Quartet, Vlach Quartet - String Quartet No. 5 / String Quartet No. 7 download flac
- Shostakovich Quartet / A. Nasedkin - Dmitri Shostakovich - Quintet - Quartet No. 7 download flac
- Borodin String Quartet, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - Quartet For Two Violins, Viola & Cello / Quartet No. 1 For Two Violins, Viola & Cello download flac